With the hustle and tussle of industrial training / Internship 2019 about to commence, I would love to put you in a set position where you are ready to make no mistakes. Most popular mistakes students make when it comes to Industrial training include the following:
- Late Applications
- Lack of information
- Poor Applications
The common notion that you will be granted an Industrial Training placement because you are in 400/300L is absurd in our age.
I will list out some very smart ways you can use to get the internship placement of your dreams.This article is not dedicated to people who anything goes for, I am crafting this post for that individual who has a company in mind that he wishes to undergo his training.
If you do not have an industry/firm for industrial training in mind already, go through this list of companies and industrial training program and register on the firm’s website (Most of them have applications running through out the year).
SMART WAYS TO GET YOUR CHOICE INDUSTRIAL TRAINING PLACEMENT
1.Make a choice and define what you want
There are many companies out there in different sectors. You need to first make a choice. This choice is a very important step because most undergraduates are after anyone that works. You should not do this.
- First decide what you want from the SIWES Program,
- Make a list of companies that can grant you this experience, our list of over 60 industrial training programs for undergraduates will help you out in this.
2. Build Your Resume and CV
You should take this very serious, because your resume/cv is your fore-runner, it should be proactive and unique enough to drag the attention of your employer. See how to create a resume/cv for siwes application.
3. Get your documents ready
Prepare your documents to get prepared for the application
- Your CV,
- Cover Letter, (What is cover letter and how do you prepare a good one- click to read)
- SIWES Form (Letter from institution),
- academic progress report(optional)
For those who would love to go to computer/I.T/Programming related companies, it will be helpful to have an official git-hub account.
4.Create the Connection
The connection is everything. There are commonly three ways to create the connection:
- Visit the company’s website (See different company links for your choice internship)
- Create a profile in the company’s website
- Get a facilitator / referee / shortee (How to do this will be covered below)
5. Be Corporate – Establish the Connection
Some industrial training placements like TOTAL E & P and AGIP needs you to be recommended by a staff. Thats one thing that chases 99% of students away from their programs. So how do I create this connection? Use LINKELDIN.
If you do not have an online linkedin profile, stop joking and create one now. With linkedin you can easily find internship in your dream company. Just create an account, update your credentials, use the job search to find internships near you or search the company name and establish connections with their staffs. You can easily connect with company staffs using linkedin.
- Search the keyword “intern” or “internship” or “industrial training” or search the company name like “Interswitch”.
- Enter the location were you want the search results based
- You will see many applications ongoing or company information
You may need to possess a good communication skill to be able to extract the needed information from them, and even get notified when their application commences.
6. Prepare for Interview
Start ups may give you only an oral interview but established companies will give you a test first before an oral interview. Mbscholars Library has a great collection of internship past questions for Major programs like Schlumberger, Exxon Mobil, SAPIEM etc.
You should learn how to answer interview questions. Most popular questions include:
- Who are you?
- Why should we hire you?
- What subjects do you like?
- Tell us about yourself?
Soon, we will be featuring different Industrial Training Programs and how to get them, just as we have tackled how to get schlumberger internship placement, how to get NNPC Industrial Training Placements.
Do not forget that the following industrial training placements are ongoing at this very point in time.
- Julius Berger Industrial Training Program for CIVIL Engineering Students
- NLNG 2019 6 months Industrial Training Program
- EXXON MOBIL Industrial training 2019 Program
- General Electric (GE) Industrial Training/SIWES/Internship Program.
- SAIPEM 2018/2019 Internship / Industrial Training Ongoing. Apply