Due to the many questions on How to write a cover letter for SIWES application and industrial training programs. I intended to prepare this article just to address that question.
What is a cover letter?
A cover letter is a letter. A formal letter nonetheless. So it should have two addresses. A cover letter is therefore a formal letter addressed to your hiring company stating clearly why you think you are the best candidate to be granted that industrial training placement.
It grants you the opportunity to introduce yourself to the employer. You are expected to be as brief as possible when drafting your cover letter and there should be a consonance between your cover letter and your resume. You should use bullet words and go straight to the point.
A cover letter may include references to the source of information: For instance: “Sequel to the job advert that appeared on Daily Sun Newspaper on the …. June 2019, I write to apply..” Just as I pointed out in preparing an application for schlumberger internship plan the content of your letter based on the requirements of the internship or industrial training application you’re applying for.
This article will contain a brief explanation to the contents of the cover letter, what you should add, how to write one and some samples.
What to include in your cover letter
A research conducted by glass door insisted that the following questions are required to be answered by your cover letter. See How to write a winning CV for internship applications(opens in a new tab)
- Why you want to work at the organization.
- How your skills meet the requirements.
- How your experience meets the requirements of the application.
Of course students are not expected to have any work experience. So emphasis should rather be laid on your skills and why you want to work in that organization.
However, before you craft your cover letter be sure to research the company a little and know their culture and values to predict the language and tone of your letter.
Preparing a Sample Cover Letter for SIWES / Industrial Training Programs
Your address on the right as usual. (For email applications, there are some slight modifications)
The company’s address on the left
- Human Resource Manager
- ABC Company
- Lagos State.
- Sir / Ma (If name is provided, use the name)
The body of the letter:
- In a bid to fulfil my university’s partial requirement for the award of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, I seek for six months Industrial training in your esteemed establishment. This is to enable me acquire first hand experience and match academic theory with industrial practices.
I am a 4th year student of the Federal University of Technology Akure with a registration number 00934857233 and a CGPA of 4.98 .
The training already received in the past three years of my study in the university has adequately prepared me for the challenges I might encounter during the course of my stay. I pledge my loyalty, diligence and commitment to the goals, rules and values of your organization.
Enclosed in this letter is my SIWES form and resumé for your consideration.
Thank you so much for your anticipated response.
- As a highly motivated and dedicated student with strong communication and interpersonal skills, I would like to apply for the position of Intern in your esteemed establishment.
As a student I have been extensively involved in my school community, which has allowed me to develop strong interpersonal skills. My involvement in various events, including drama eisteddfods and sports carnivals, has allowed me to work closely with my peers while supporting the school community as a whole.
These experiences have allowed me to develop strong time management and organisational skills, which I see as being very important when seeking to intern in your firm.
Personal attributes that I believe make me suitable for this position include:
- Motivation: Volunteer participation and school results demonstrate high motivation.
- Customer Service: Assisting with the sale of products at community events has allowed the development of customer service skills.
- Communication: Acting in drama performances and working as an MC for school events has allowed the development of communication skills.
My teachers and educators have commended me for my willingness to participate and my dedication to helping out where possible. I enjoy working with others and believe that my strong communication skills will ensure that I can meet the expectations of this role.
I am aware that you will receive a large number of applications for this job, but I would very much appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate my capabilities to you in person.
I am keen to develop my professional skills and look forward to discussing my application with you at an interview. I have enclosed a copy of my resume for your consideration. I can be contacted at all times on the details provided above.
Thanking you in advance for your time.
- Yours faithfully,
- Contact information.
A good cover letter should include:
- Your name, email address and phone number
- The name of the business and the contact person’s full name (if available) on the left
- A reference line (e.g., “Re: Application for Administration Assistant position”) for email applications
- An opening statement that briefly introduces you to the reader
- A main body that highlights qualities and characteristics you have that are relevant to the job
- A closing paragraph asking to arrange an interview
- General skills that help you work in a team and as part of an organisation
- Personal attributes that will help you learn to work in a professional work environment
- Key strengths and contributions that show you are a stand-out applicant
- School work experience or volunteer work that demonstrates your strengths and attributes
- Any sporting or community club participation (if relevant)
- Any hobbies or interests that are relevant to the job or demonstrate your professional experience
More Articles you should see:
- Julius Berger 2019 Internship / Industrial Training Still Ongoing. Apply
- How to Get Internship or Industrial Training with Schlumberger Nigeria
- Maximise your SIWES – Ultimate Guide. Must Read
- Chevron Nigeria 2018 January – June Internship Placement for Undergraduates